The Jack Purcell Recreation Association offers a variety of programs for children and youth on a seasonal basis.. Please see our latest program guide for specific times and availability, or register here.
- Reading Exploration: Using their five senses, children will engage in activities designed to promote a love of reading and create and eagerness to learn. Ages: 3-8.
- Mommy/Daddy & Me - Baby French: No prior French is necessary to take this program. The focus is on teaching parents action songs, rhymes and games that they can use to help introduce French to their infant. Using lap and hand games, toys, puppets, parachutes and percussion instruments, as well as dance moves, the program provides both a bonding experience for parents and introduces some French to infants. This is an important period of growth for infants who are building language connections; hopefully, it will also provide an easier path to bilingualism for both the infant and the parents. Ages: 2-18 months. @123petitspas
- Preschool Dance Class: Young children learn the fundamentals of dance by exploring different movements with their bodies. This program is designed to develop children's motor skills through some basic ballet and Jazz steps while having fun. (Bring indoor shoes.) Ages 3-5.
- Children's Beginners Dance Class: This program enables children to learn the fundamentals of dance and ballet techniques in a fun and positive environment. While being creative, they will also learn some traditional ballet moves. The idea is to provide children with an energetic introduction to dance.Ages: 6-8.
- Intro to Musical Instruments: This program introduces children to musical instruments. An instructor from the Canada Music
Academy will help children learn about and explore various instruments which will be provided
by the academy. Ages 5-12.
- Digital Piano Lessons: These 30-minute interval sessions will enable students to explore their music reading and performance skills. At the end of each session, there’s an informal group performance to showcase what has been learned. Beginners and all levels are welcome. (Additional cost for the workbook.) Ages 5-14. *DUE TO HIGH DEMAND REGISTRATIONS WILL ONLY BE TAKEN BY THE COORDINATOR- E-MAIL: CHILDRENANDYOUTH@JPRA.CA*
- Paint Night Party: Bring your creativity and energy for an evening of painting fun and celebration with your friends! Supplies are provided. Ages: 9-13.
- Making Waves - Art Workshops: Street artist Robbie Lariviere provides eight unique, individual workshops, including cartooning and painting. Detailed schedule to be posted. Ages: 7-13. Contact Robbie @falldowng Check out the weekly schedule here. Drop-ins available at $30 per workshop.
- Staying Home Alone Course: This program is designed to provide your children with the necessary skills and knowledge to be
safe and responsible when staying home alone for a short time. It helps them to understand how to prevent problems, handle situations that arise and how to stay safe. It also provides constructive suggestions to keep them occupied. Ages: 10-14.
- Baby Sitting Certification Course: The course will use the official Canada Safety Council curriculum which covers topics such as becoming a successful babysitter, caring for children from three months to school-aged, emergencies, basic first aid, behaviour management and much more. Fee includes workbook; send your child with lunch and snacks. Ages 11-14.