The Jack Purcell Recreation Association offers a variety of fitness classes for adults. Browse our offerings below, and see our latest program guide for specific times, or register here!
Fitness and zumba classes
- Total Body Conditioning: Our evening fitness program starts you off with Total Body Conditioning. This class is open to all
fitness levels and offers a combination of interval training, Tabata, core, and weights to help condition all muscle groups.
- Short Circuit: Challenges your muscles through frequent--and short--workout bursts of weight-lifting, cardio and core to keep your body off balance.
- Body Blast-Core Strong: An hour-long cross training workout using a mix of circuit, strength and endurance training, with the last part of the class devoted to your core muscles.
- Instructors change their routines and equipment weekly, so we recommend that you show up early to get set up for your workout.
- SPECIAL OFFER: Purchase a 10-pass visit for only $85+HST / buy one class and get the other at 50% off. Drop-in Fee: $9.50 per class (bring a receipt to each class as proof of payment)
- Energy Dance: This is a workout based on dance for people with a wide range of fitness levels and dance abilities. Choreographed dance moves get the heart rate up and the body moving through music that ranges from blues, folk, rock ‘n’ roll to jazz. There’s a warm-up, a cool-down and some relaxation, and the content of the class changes every two weeks. It’s a fun and friendly way to work out.
- SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a 10-visit pass for $72.00 (+ HST) for the Winter Session only.
About the Instructor: Jody Benjamin
Jody Benjamin has been dancing since she could stand up. For her, it's the joy of moving to music -- any music. She studied ballet and jazz from a young age and has her own band Ball and Chain. Since 2009, she has been the director of the two Ottawa chapters of Shout Sister Choir. She also runs her own home maintenance business called Mrs. Fixit.
Jody began teaching her unique exercise dance program in 1981, originally called Dance Aerobics. She has been delivering her dance-as-exercise classes to her JPRA clients for over 33 years. She continues to express her love of dancing and moving to music through her Energy Dance Program.
- You'll focus on legs, lower back and abs to improve lower-body strength, especially the core. You'll improve flexibility and increase body tone for the legs, butt and abs. It's a demanding workout (no cardio) to enhance control of the all-important back muscles. (The instructor, Véronique, has a background in circus training and dance.)
- NEW Yoga Workshop with Maria: Relaxed class format allows time and space for a closer look at movements and poses (asanas) as requested by students/attendees/yogis. Curiosity is encouraged. Come as you are, no prerequisites.
- Hatha Yoga: In this all-levels yoga class, you’ll connect breath with mindful movement. You’ll explore various yoga poses, both relaxing and challenging for you. You’ll connect with your inner rhythm, increase physical strength and flexibility, improve balance and coordination, reduce stress, and develop resilience to help you cope with the everyday ups and downs. You’ll bring your body, mind, and spirit into harmony.
- YOGA-PILATES OFFER!
Purchase a 10-Visit Pass for $113.00 (+HST) for use during the Winter Session only.
About the Instructor: Kelly Trimm
Kelly knew yoga was a perfect fit for her the very first time she stepped on her mat. What really surprised her was not only the physical benefits, but also the emotional and mental benefits. She began to quickly notice how emotional and mental stress built tension in her body. She began to use her physical yoga practice as a means to create space in her body, alleviating physical symptoms of worry and stress.
She quickly developed a keen interest in postural alignment, realizing that to truly experience the benefits of yoga and its physical postures, one has to understand alignment and use this knowledge to create a solid foundation. It is by having a solid foundation that one is able to build strength, flexibility, and coordination using breath as one’s guide.
It is alignment and foundation that Kelly focuses on in her classes. She gives detailed alignment cues and physical adjustments to help her students develop postural knowledge to ensure safe practice, as well as, creating the opportunity for space - both physical and mental.